Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Microsoft windows 8.1 updates on Toshiba Portege R835-P94 took for ever and even failed fatally.

Computer:


Problem update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3000850


About 710MB.

Download time was about 15min on my Comacast  Internet. Then after I chose restart, it took 20min to actually restart, another 20 min after restart, another 10min and 92% after I typed my password to login and then a message

It then took another 10 min for me to get back to windows. Absolutely no info on what happened.
Total time spent was over 1hour. There was one "important" Atheros wireless driver update which so messed up the PC that I needed to go to a restore point.

As a contrast in 1 hr, I updated Xubuntu 14.10 t0 15.04 distribution upgrade. The terrible failures in updates and the virus headaches are the reason I started using Ubuntu/Xubuntu since 2006. Not a single OS update issue or virus issue. In fact I have a 6yr old Asus laptop running Xubuntu perfectly and used to run Windows 7 and stopped working for windows entirely. I have been using Windows only once a year just to us H & R Block Tax software. At some point all the features I need will be available in H & R Block Tax software online edition and that will eliminate the need for Windows.
All my data is either on Dropbox or Google Drive. Both work from Linux. Libre Office is good enough for 99.99% of the users particularly at home. Can read and write Microsft office docs just fine. Powerpoint which most home users do not care for may have some features not so compatible but can be easily modified if required.

Moral of the story:

If you have to use MS Windows 8.1 do create a system before doing any updates. You may need a safe fallback as I needed with Atheros driver update. KB3000850 did not need me to restore luckily.


I am waiting for Windows 10 and that may lead to another blog...




No comments:

Post a Comment