Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

End of monthly payments on my US landline and no more Vonage to call India.

I have had Vonage to call India for several years. Probably 8yrs. This year, I found a new choice to paying $30 a month after taxes.

How did I do it?

I first found that in the last 12 months ending mid June 2012, I called India for less than 4000 minutes. I realized that it would have cost me only 2 cents a minute using Google Voice or a calling card. That would have been $80 instead of $360.

Next I found out that Google Voice is free to call any US number unlimited.

Next I found out that a company called obihai has a device called Obi110 which is a bit smaller than Vonage adapter and connects to my router like the vonage adapter and bingo I have a landline for calling in the US for free.

Finally, I found out that I can get a cheap temp unlocked or T Mobile prepaid phone, transfer my Vonage number to it and from there transfer it to Google Voice for a total cost of $40 + the cost of phone. I now have a spare phone which is great. So, real cost is $40 to transfer and I got my money back in 45 days.

Is this bad news for Vonage? May be not. There are probably enough users who make more than 18000 minutes per yr or about 50min a day. Also, some of them have a vonage phone abroad so that their family can call the US unlimited. Google voice is not available for example in India to call US using the internet. At least that is what I am reading on internet.

However, skype works great and many of my friends I call frequently seem to have cheap android phones running skype. Now, that is a potential threat to Vonage. Microsoft could easily entice many people all over the world with free hotspot and free skype calling with their Windows phone to gain market share.

Some people I know were using magic jack in India. Now they seem to use Skype and Google hangout.

There is only one thing for sure. Constant change. Those who can adapt come out ahead....

No comments:

Post a Comment