Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How I view the Media and gadgets these days.

It is been a while since I posted anything. What has changed in media use since the last post?

Sold my old Tivo Series 3 for $300 and bought Tivo series 4 with lifetime service for $400. Main reason: instant streaming from and Tivo to others rather than transfer and watch. Android App suddenly makes all 6 tuners available even on Internet. Netflix interface is much nicer and allows me add/remove from the que without using a bluray player or a computer or smartphone. Wife likes that.

However, I discovered chromecast. Great to watch netflix or youtube.
No searching using arrows and enter button anymore.

My WDTV live player has been gathering dust because I found out that it does not support multichannel audio I get using makemkv from DVD or Bluray.

Switched to no contract T Mobile and Galaxy Note 2. Much easier on the eyes and great for GPS. Sorry Garmin. Don't even remember when I last used it. Even my wife has not used her Garmin. Wonder how they survive.

Dumped Vonage phone. Ported the number to a prepaid T Mobile and then to Google Voice. I use obi110 since June 2013 and Google as my land line. I found that my contacts in India have switched to Android phones and Skype. Very few international calls to India at 2cents a min using Google.

Longer home video using camcorder is now a thing of the past. Few 1 minute clips at a time and photos shared on Google+.

Stopped using my old garmin watch for tracking exercise. Google My Tracks and Endomondo on Android are just fine.

My crystal ball 3 years from now:

4k x 2k 65" TV for less than $2k to come to family room. Next phone to record in 4k x 2k. Next laptop perhaps a 13.3" 2560 x 1600 tablet running all applications and 802.11ac wireless to display on TV.

Bluray to be 4k x 2k.

Garmin, Blackberry gone. All TVs made in China.

No electric car to replace gasoline. Just gas/electric hybrid.

Custom order smart phones on Amazon built in America. No subsidy. No contract. Pay per use internet like electricity.



2 comments:

  1. I hope you are wrong about pay per use internet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting notes! ironic about garmin thoughts.. we just gave them business buying a gps and the UAE/Africa maps since google maps wasn't working with directions properly here.

    ReplyDelete