Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

Replaced 640GB hard drive with SSD on Windows 8.1/Xubuntu 14.04 Dual boot with all programs, data.

Laptop: Toshiba R835-P94 Core i5
Old Drive:  640GB 5400rpm
Boot: 100MB
Windows 8.1: 300GB Used data was 90GB. Moved big data files to external drive
Xubuntu: The rest which is about 340GB. Used data was 10GB

New Drive: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW

Step1: Prepare the partitions on the old drive to match the new smaller drive.

Used Gparted in Xubuntu and changed old drive to:

Boot: 100MB
Windows 8.1: Little less than 50GB
Xubuntu: Little less than 50GB
ntfs DATA: Remaining space

Did all the cleanup to make the move fast.

Step 2: Replace the old Toshiba drive with the SSD.

Required removing 2 screws on the memory cover and 2 screws to remove the hard drive cover, lift the old drive, remove ribbon cable, connect the ribbon cable to the new drive, place the new SSD in the slot, put back the screws. I should have removed the battery but forgot.

Step 3: Used Gparted boot CD to create device table and partition the new drive as follows

Boot: 100MB
Windows 8.1: Little more than 50GB
Xubuntu: Little more than 50GB
ntfs DATA: Remaining space

Step 4: Placed the 640GB drive in 2.5" Sabrent USB2 SATA enclosure.

Just needed to remove 2 screws, connect the SATA, put the screws back.

Step 5: Used Clonezilla boot CD to copy one partition at a time from the old drive to the SSD.

See example video on youtube.
It took me total 25min for about 40GB of data.

Step 6: Try booting the computer. If it does not work, you may have to fix the boot partition.

I would like to give credit to my son Harsha Kotcherlakota for finding this. It took all of 5 min to do it. Here is how to do it. Note that all he had to do was push one button "Recommended Repair"

Bingo! All done. Much faster startup and opening of programs on the local disk. I think the computer is not so warm. I think battery life improved. I will post some update here but I really don't want to put back the old drive just to do the numbers. Others posted such data already.

The battery life for internet browsing text and images and small video clips was about 3.5hrs on HDD and about 6hrs on Xubuntu as well as Windows 8.1.

My power setting on Windows 8.1:
My power setting on Xubuntu 14.04:
A final note. I used ext2fsd version 0.52 to mount my linux partion as L: on Windows 8.1. It worked fine. I am editing this blog from windows side. I was able to paste the screenshot from the /home/hari/Pictures folder in linux.



No comments:

Post a Comment