Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Replaced 3yr old CISCO/Linksys E4200 router with Asus RT-N66U for $110.

Strange failure on wired network port of the E4200. There is a gigabit switch connected to it. Devices connected to the switch for loosing connection every few hours after power cycling the switch. Replaced the switch and problem was even worse. So, replaced the router and now very stable connection for 7hrs and counting. Also, in a room about 30ft and 3 walls away where I had spotty connection, I got nearly the speed of wired connection.

This one is not a 802.11AC router which costs about $30 to $40 more. I have only 2 802.11AC capable devices in the house and they are phones which need range more than speed. AC works in 5GHz band. So, decided against it. These routers seem to fail after 3yrs. My guess is that memory may be corrupted or buffer is full and I have more devices in the house than I had 3 yrs ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment