Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

Managed to remove decades old wall paper easily.

I think the wall paper is probably about 30 to 40 years old.

I tried a steam cleaner hoping to remove it without any chemicals. Did not work.

I tired Rust-Oleum 2422 DIF Wallpaper Stripper Concentrate, 22-Ounce which is supposed to make 2 gallons 128oz . I tried a sample using the recommended amount of water which is about 6 to 1. I applied it using a brush. Did not work. Tried a 3 to 1 and it also did nothing. Finally I used a spray bottle and tried the concentrate directly with a window open. After 15 minutes it almost dried up.

I decided that this was not penetrating. So, I tried a scorer to poke little holes in the wall paper which I got in Walmart for $6 (much cheaper than Amazon) and Zinsser 2466 DIF GEL Spray Ready To Use Wallpaper Stripper, 32-Ounce
also $5 in Walmart compared to $10 on Amazon.

I used the scorer on a 18" x 18" section and used the gel spray barely 3" from the wall to soak it. Waited for 20 minutes, used a chisel to pry at the end and bingo, the entire 18" x 18" section came out in one shot in 5 minutes. When I tried a larger section, the problem was that after 20 minutes, I start peeling but 10 minutes later some section dried up and needed another coat of Gel. So, I went back to 18" x 18" sections. It sure takes a while to do a bigger room but it does work. For example a 8 x 10 wall (80sq ft ) may take 15 hrs if only one person does it. So, make it a family party on a weekend folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment