Pages

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Google Voice obi110 replaced Vonage. Perhaps next year would be end of landline.

http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/important-message-about-google-voice.html
"Google announced the end of support for XMPP based calling with Google Voice. This will happen on May 15, 2014.
Since your OBi device uses XMPP to communicate with Google servers, the end of support will directly impact how your OBi device can be used with your Gmail account and its associated Google Voice phone number. Unfortunately, you will no longer be able to use the Google Voice communication service to make calls using the phone connected to your OBi device.  Also, the ability to receive calls to your Google Voice number, directly from Google’s service, will not be possible."

So, what am I thinking? Me and my wife have unlimited calling in the US using our cell phones with unlimited LTE data on T-Mobile. I am sure that we will have unlimited calling feature on any carrier or prepaid card.

I have panasonic link2cell cordless phone system with 4 handsets. I already paired my phone and my wife's phone to receive calls using bluetooth on the cordless handset. All I need to do is forward my google voice calls to cell phones and I can receive calls made to my land line number. Outgoing calls will use my cell phones. Only limitation with the link2cell is that for outgoing calls, DTMF tones are not passed on from cordless handset to the cell phone. That means, I may have to directly use cell phones to call if DTMF tones are required.

One thing is for sure. Technology will evolve. Perhaps, Google will directly sell a product like chromecast and call it phonecast to connect to any landline phone to make receive calls?


No comments:

Post a Comment