Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Upgraded Samsung Galaxy Note 2 T Mobile SGH-T889 from 4.1.2 to 4.3.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 T Mobile SGH-T889 was rooted but otherwise stock because I wanted to use wifi calling where the signal was not good in my sister's house in Bethesda, MD surrounded by woods and in UCSC campus room of my son. As the signal gets better perhaps there is no need for wifi calling.

Anyway, because my phone was considered "modified" OTA upate did not work. I used Samsung Kies to update and it did go reasonably well. It took barely 1 hour. To root it again I used http://honai-android.blogspot.com/2013/12/how-to-root-galaxy-note-2-t-mobile-sgh.html and it also worked. Only problem was wifi tether App gave me some trouble but eventually I got it to work. Not sure if the phone is subject to T Mobile's 500MB per day limit though. I ended up spending almost 2hrs on the wifi hotspot.

So far the phone is stable but there is one surprise. Firefox Sync does not work. May be it is time to switch to chrome browser on the phone. It seems Android 4.4 aka Kitkat will be available around Mar 2014 from T Mobile. I may end up going to cyanogenmod and Kitkat, the minute I decide that wifi calling is not so important. It is possible right now to update this phone to Cyanogenmod kitkat. I just don't want to be on the bleeding edge particularly with a phoen I depend on every day.

I did not like the Samsung GUI. So, I used Apex Launcher like before and now it is like I had it before. I will update this based on my experience in the next few days.

Update: Dec 17th
unistalled Firefox Browser and Firefox beta. Re-installed Firefox (Not Beta).
Now able to sync with firefox on other computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment