Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Finally I can make Yogurt at home consistently.

As I was cleaning my garage I re-discovered my Yogurt Maker Euro Cuisine YM80 Yogurt Maker I bought on Amazon now $24 http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Cuisine-YM80-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B000EX16RY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387383830&sr=8-1&keywords=yogurt+maker

Then I used starter culture my sister suggested which is Yogourmet Freeze Dried Yogurt Starter now $16.35 on Amazon for a 3-pack http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GVIS4M/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used a Pyrex 4 cup glass container for 1% milk.

1. Microwave and highest power for 10 minutes in a Sharp 1200w microwave.

2. Let it cool for about 15 minutes.

3. Add 1 packet of the starter and stir well with a fork.

4. Put it in the Yogurt maker and turn it on.

5. Checked after about 4.5hrs and found that it is mostly done (It is supposed to maintain about 120F. Room temp was about 66F in Dec In Northern CA).

6. Shut off the Yogurt Maker but let the yogurt sit in it for an hour or 2 and then put it in the fridge.

To make the next batch, I used 3 teaspoons of this yogurt as the culture. Worked for NF milk too and perhaps needed another 30min in the Yogurt Maker.

Now I am the resident expert in making yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment