Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

My experience upgrading Toshiba R835-P94 from Win 7 to Win 8.1.

It all started when my son who is a Windows expert of sorts decided that it is about time he switch to Win  8 and and he actually said that he got used to the Metro interface easily. I decided to check it out. So, here is what happened roughly.

At about 9pm last night, I tried to create bootable USB using Win 8 Pro .iso I had when I bought it for $15 promo about 1 year ago and have a key. unetboot on win 7 struggled and failed to create USB boot image.

I tried to do it on Xubuntu 13.10 (dual boot on the same laptop) using startup disk creator and it did but did not boot and was not seen in Windows either.

So, I used xfburn on Xubuntu and created a DVD. It was 11pm by then.

This disc did not boot either. So, I opened Win 7 and found setup.exe file. I double clicked it and then it asked for my key. I entered it and then it tool 2.5 hrs and several boots and at 1am, I was in Win 8 Pro. So, what about Win 8.1? That required update to Win 8. I pushed the button to install all updates and went to bed.

This morning at 7am, it said that updates failed and to retry. I did and finally it got done at 8am after several reboots. Then I upgrade to 8.1. It finished at 9am after several reboots. I installed classic shell to get the familiar start button. There you have it.

Moral of the story so far, I did not seem to have gained anything. Just did this to make the OS current for what it is worth. My son did a complete delete and clean install directly from Win 7 to 8.1 and he said that it took 15min. Just because I wanted to keep my taxcut software intact, I upgraded and kept all the files and programs. If I knew that it takes so, long I would have backed up my data and re-installed programs.


No comments:

Post a Comment