Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

When my clothes washer got SMS with Belkin WeMo but it failed....

9/1/14: See latest update on why I had to replace WeMo Insight switch due to failure. See blog http://hari-google-blog.blogspot.com/2014/08/replaced-belkin-wemo-insight-60-wifi.html

One of pet peeves was that we frequently forget to take clothes when the washer stops and in the best case they get wrinkled a lot and in the worst case very smelly and I need to wash again.

So, I experimented and bought Belkin WeMo Insight switch (actually a plug with a power button and WiFi indicator) for $50 when it came on sale. Regular price was $60.

First I installed Android App WeMo. I then plugged in the WeMo Insight into the wall outler and then the clothese washer to the WeMo Insight. Then I connected to WiFi "router" called WeMo something which was built into WeMo Insight.

After that it asked me which is my home WiFi network and I gave it the password. WeMo Insight which I named WeMo Laundry then connected directly to my router and so did my phone. Then I registered my WeMo laundry to my ifttt account directly from the WeMo App.

Then I went to ifttt (IF This Then That)
and created a "recipe" to send me text message when my WeMo laundry enters standby mode. ifttt asked for my cell phone number and sent me a 4 digit code by SMS which I was asked to enter in my ifttt account to authenticate the transaction. Done.


I started my clothes washer. While the washer was running, I was able to see the power consumed in Watts in real time using the App on the phone. Within seconds after the washer entered standby mode, I got a text message. I guess it worked!


I cannot do the same to my electric clothes drier because it runs on 220V and WeMo Insight only comes in a 110V version.

Update 8/13/14

I changed my router and now Belkin Wemo will first allow my phone to connect to it as an access point and then I open WeMo App and provide the password to the router I want to connect. Once I do that, WeMo is supposed to act as a client and connect itself to the router. It does not. I guess there is a failure. I am going to use Smarthings multi-sensor to sense the stopping of Vibration to detect end of cycle just as I did with the dryer. My conclusion is that Belkin WeMo is not quite there yet...


No comments:

Post a Comment