Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

It is sad that physical and even online newspapers are a dying breed. I finally stopped paper even online.

Update 9/4/14: I finally stopped the Sunday paper and all days online. I don't miss it. Google News is good enough for me. I hear that USA Today may become online only. It is probably sooner than later when there will be a consolidation of many newspapers to online only and paid by Ads online.

Until July 2012, I was paying $150 per year for a newspaper to be delivered 7 days a week. In the days when there was no internet I used to read newspaper for 30min in the morning and again for 30min before going to bed.

Then, I got a promotion for $20 for 1 yr to get Thu, Fri and Sun physical paper and 7 days a week online. I really did not miss the physical paper on the other 4 days.

When that ended, I got a promotion for $15 for 1 yr to get Sun physical paper and online 7 days a week.

This Sunday, it is raining and I looked at the newspaper online after I first went to Google news, Facebook. I spent entire 10min looking at the online newspaper and did not even feel like going out to get the paper just to look at a few department store ads and Best Buy ad. Those are available online too and I get to avoid impulse shopping just because I saw the Ad.

These days most of the shopping seems to be either for groceries or home maintenance (like paint, tools) and the rest online.

May be this year, I may not even want the online newspaper.

What next? Will newspaper companies in developed countries get bought off by the Googles of the world? Is Newspaper going to be free online funded by advertising like the OTA TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment