Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

For $40 I replaced a switch which turns on light at sunset and shuts it off at 10pm.

I bought GE Z-Wave dimmer switch for $42. That was $25 more than I paid for a Levitron dimmer.

It took me actually more time to try 10 of my circuit breakers to shut off the power to the switch I wanted to replace. Once that was doen I swapped the old mechanic switch with the GE switch.

Worked perfectly.

I then opened the SmartThings App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone running T Mobile stock Android 4.3.2 and selected the plus button to search for devices.

See this blog how I added devices.

That is it. I can use my phone to turn on-off-dim-bright the light.
I used this Cree dimmable LED. The light is just as bright as the "100W equivalent" FEIT CFL I replaced.

Of course the CFL costs just $2 each Vs $20 for this bulb. CFL does not dim.
Not as instant ON. Besides CFL consumes 23w Vs 9.5W for the LED.

I had 3 bulbs consuming 69W. Now I have three consuming 19.5W for the same light. This light is ON for 4hrs a day. So, more green I guess.

Now comes the more interesting part.

I used ifttt "recipe" to turn ON this light at sunset every day and shut it off at 10pm every day. I can use my phone to control it at random.


Now isn't that cool?





No comments:

Post a Comment