Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Now when my Clothes dryer stops, I get a text message. Cost $50.

No more wrinkled clothes at least if I am home when the dryer stops :-)

How did I do it?

I bought a smarthings multi-sensor for $50.

Opened my Smarthings App and added this sensor in few seconds.

Installed the magnet part of the sensor on the Dryer above the door and the sensor below the door. That way, I can also see 3-axis motion of the sensor for what it is worth. See photo below.

67 is the temperature. Inactive above the temperature is the accelerometer.
To the left of the battery is 3 axis x, y and z. That can be used if mounted on
a old garage door which is vertical when closed and horizontal when open for example.

Then I used my smartphone and installed an App to sense end of vibration when the dryer stops. My dryer has manual timer and "wrinkle guard". To test it I used a 10 min timer, set the Min cycle time to 10, "fill time" to 1 (really it is time between cycles if the dryer supports it. The default is 5 min.

I then entered my phone number for the text.

 As you can see, I renamed the App Clothes Dryer stopped.
That is why I got the text message about 5 min after the dryer stopped.

(Thanks to Tyler Lange of Smarthings who actually walked me through how to copy this App and create my own version of it on the smartthings website.)










Part of my chat conversation to the nice support guy Tyler Lange.

Me: ok. opened the Laundry monitor app.
Tyler: Alright two settings to tinker with
Tyler: Minimum cycle time and time to fill tub
Me: ok. I am doing a test case. I set the dryer to 10min. set min cycle time to 5 min. Fill time blank.
Tyler: Sounds good. If we can't get it right I can escalate your ticket to our development team so they can give you more specific feedback.
Me: OK Dryer stopped.
Me: No text message yet.
Tyler: Alright the SmartApp is still running
Tyler: Give me a minute as I check into this
Tyler: Alright the app just changed to inactive
Tyler: And a notification was sent
Tyler: Did you receive it?
Me: Hey. Just got text message. I guess it takes time?
Tyler: Here's what I think is going on
Tyler: There's a 5 minute window at the end of the cycle where it's verifying that it's not just moving on to the next cycle
Tyler: If you go into our ide at http://ide.smartthings.com, create a new SmartApp then click Browse SmartApps in the top right
Tyler: You can paste in the code for Laundry Monitor and lower the value of the default fill time
Tyler: That should make that notify you quicker
Me: Got it. One sec.
Me: OK.. Created blank new app. How do I copy the Laundry monitor App?
Tyler: Click browse smartapps in the top right
Me: Got it. Changed the defalut to 1min.
Tyler: That should help
Me: Yes. Thanks. You are terrific. I will write a blog. What is your full name Tyler? http://hari-google-blog.blogspot.com/
Me: You can see my blogs on this topic.
Tyler: Thanks for the link! I'm Tyler Lange 




No comments:

Post a Comment