Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Kwikset 910 series zwave electronic deadbolt $110 is flimsy.

Updated Jan 11, 2015

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS.

Main issue is very bad battery life even with the best AA alkaline battery.
Barely a month if used once a day on the average. I really do not want to
remotely unlock my door over internet. If someone I trust needs to enter,
I will give them the code to unlock. Schlage Camelot electronic deadbolt
I use has a 9V battery and in 3plus years I replaced the battery once on a door
used many times a day. It costs less than $90.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NJJ1MQ?keywords=schlage%20camelot&qid=1452558472&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

You can read how to install if you want to, else you can stop right here.
_________________________________________________________________________________
See  photos (last one is video if it works) here.

I bought Kwikset SmartCode 910 Satin Nickel Electronic Deadbolt with zwave chip on E-Bay but Amazon also has it.

It took me just 30 min to install.

I also ordered SmartThings Hub for $100.

It has an App on Android and IOS devices.  I connected the hub to my router, installed this app used the code which came with the hub and activated it.

I can see the hub as active when I login to smarthings.com website and also on my phone.

Supposedly all I have to do is choose + button on the App to add the lock, press a button on the lock and it should connect.

All it said was searching... and never found the lock. Smarthings is a small company funded by Kickstarter. I sent them a request and waiting to hear from them. I will write about the outcome once I am done. "Internet of things" began in 2013 and so very pre-mature. Not for the average Joe user yet. A challenge for me though...

For now, I can say that the lock works fine and I like it better than Schlage because of more key combinations and easy of replacing the batteries without any screw driver. Schlage lock I have has a 9V battery which my son installed almost year and half ago and it still works. Schlage has 4 number code using 10 buttons. This has 4 to 8 number code using 5 buttons.

If you cannot see the video on my Google+ link for Photos (last one is video), it is also on Youtube. Google has to get this process right.










No comments:

Post a Comment