Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Is Amazon is the cheapest and fastest to order and receive? Not necessarily.

Like many people who have Amazon Prime account, I was used to looking at Amazon and ordering almost assuming that the local place is not the same price.

Here is what happened.

1. My wireless router needed replacement. It is was $120 on Amazon when I looked on a Friday evening. If I ordered, I was going to get it on Tuesday. I looked at a local store Fry's electronics online 2 miles away. Same price. I paid online Friday night and picked it up Sat morning. For what it is worth, there is a $20 mail in rebate to pay for my gas plus some. I needed to fill a propane gas tank near there anyway.

2. I needed to replace a dead Panasonic rice cooker. I looked for it on Sunday on Amazon. It was $38. If I ordered, I could have received it on Wed by end of the day. I did google search and found the same directly from Panasonic for $30 with free shipping. I ordered 2 cookers. They were delivered on Thu morning at 9:30am.

3. I needed a chimney starter on Sun for an outdoor barbecue grill. The cheapest was $15 on Amazon. I looked at the local stores and found one at Ace Hardware store 1.5 miles away for $10. Incidentally I needed an outdoor thermometer which was $15 on Amazon. Also $10 at Ace. As a bonus, I was able to find a unique lamp socket I needed to revive a floor lamp for just $4 at Ace. Besides, my dog was happy to get out of the house and she is welcome at Ace. Winners all around including support for a local merchant who is very good at service!

I can go on...

You get the idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment