Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

T Mobile charges $2 a minute to call India. If you call very often, take their $15 a month plan.

I am usually careful about making international calls but when I swapped my phone, I made the mistake of making 50min of calls to India without realizing that I did not set my Android phone to use Google Voice for all International  calls. The 50min would have cost me $1 at 2 cents a minute. It is galling that the rate is 100 times more on T Mobile and not a thing a consumer can do about it. There is no way to set a warning if a single call bill is so high. This is typical of how cell phone companies make huge profits to make up for all the promotions. My only saving grace is that I bought a 8 month old Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Swappa for $420 instead of buying directly from  T Mobile a new one for $750. You just cannot win them all and you have to hope that when you get older and not so quick to spot so many ways of getting ripped off, you trained your kids in how to watch out and they are available to watch out for you..

===========================================
 I sent this the following email and got a phone call back in few hours!
===========================================
Date: Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Subject: I admire your pro-consumer messages but your company really disappointed me.
To: john.legere@t-mobile.com, Michael.Sievert@t-mobile.com

My first shock came when I saw my phone bill was 30% more and there was no change in my calling pattern. My second shock came when I discovered that 2 calls of 50 min to India cost $100. I swapped my phone and I made the mistake of making those calls without setting Google Voice to make International calls which would have cost me 2 cents a minute.

Really! 100 times more? Obviously you are entitled to charge what ever but this is beyond ridiculous.
===========================================
I got a phone call from the Executive Response team about 4hrs later.
===========================================
They said that the normal rate is $1.95 a minute but there is an international calling plan for $15 a month. So, they reduced the $99.50 to $15 for that month and gave me credit. That is fair and I maintain my regard for John Legere.

This is the follow-up email.
-------------------------------------------
Per our conversation on August 12, 2014, I have applied a courtesy credit of $84.50 to been applied to your account.

Thank you,

Leah Tokar
Executive Response
Office of the President/CEO
===========================================
Good job John!

I suggest that you announce that T Mobile will limit international call overage to $15 for the first time a user has this kind of experience and send a text message right after the expensive call offering $15 a month plan.You will win more loyal customers!

No comments:

Post a Comment