Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Now when my Garage door is open, I get a text message and I can close it remotely too.

I already $100 have a smarthings hub

I bought a smarthings multi-sensor for $50.

On hindsight, I should have got the kit for $50 more.

I attached the sensor (larger) part to the garage door added the device using my phone as a Garage Door sensor and that is it.


If I want to control it, this is all I need to do. That will be another blog if I do it.

Optional control module:
http://www.amazon.com/Evolve-LFM-20-Fixture-Module/dp/B006U1O978/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

http://blog.smartthings.com/how-to/how-to-openclose-your-garage-door/

I went ahead and installed the LFM-20 control module. I placed the module on the garage door opener. Used a 2 pin plug from a dead old rice cooker to tap on to the power socket of the garage door opener, stripped off about 1/4" insulation on 2 wires from the garage remote coming to the garage door opener and taped 2 wires of the LFM-20. Opened smarthings app on my phone and added it. Opened a smartapp in smartthings to add control feature. Done. I even added my wife's phone to it. Security is at least 2 levels which is more secure than most old fashioned locks. Of course I do have 2 alarm systems and a German Shepherd! Nothing to beat the Shepherd for sure if there is an intruder. She only likes the people we open the door to...


No comments:

Post a Comment