Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

Replaced surboard 5120 modem with surfboard 6141 modem on Comcast.

In the last one week, the internet connection was intermittent. Changing the router did help on the range and stability. Bought the Surfboard 5120 modem was bought in Dec 2008 for $28 on E-Bay when DOCSIS 1.1 was common and I replaced an old DOCSIS 1.1 modem with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. I saw that the market value is just $10 now and Comcast recommends DOCSIS 3.0 modems effective July 2014.
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/1253575#U1253575
"As of July 2014, all DOCSIS 1 and 2 modems are being phased out." Comcast sent me email  recently that with "Performance High Speed Internet" I was supposed to get 50Mbps down if I just reset the modem. I got about 31Mbps up from 25Mbps.

I did some reading and decided to get Surfboard 6141 modem white retail version with warranty by Arris for $88 on Amazon.

It may be cheaper on E-Bay.

I had to call Comcast in Fremont, CA to provide the new MAC address, make and serial number. Self-activation was not possible unless I buy directly from Comcast. I had to call Comcast twice due to a dropped call. The second time I called I gave the call back number before I said anything. Got it activated 15 min after I opened the box. Remember to connect a laptop or PC directly to the cable modem before calling Comcast or your cable provider unless you can self-activate with your cable provider.

So, what was the difference? I have so called  according to an email I received from Comcast recently. The best I saw was 31Mbps with Surfboard 5120. Today I measured 57+Mbps!

Here is the comparison of the 5120 and 6141 modem status reported by looking at 192.168.100.1
Note that there is only 1 channel up and 1 channel down and note the signal level.

Here is the same status with 6141.

Note that signal is about the same but there are 8 channels down and 4 up. I guess the fatter pipe helped get the bandwidth I paid for.

Moral of the story: Do not rent a cable modem. Do your homework and buy a modem. $88 was well worth the higher speed I was paying for.

I will update this blog based on my experience. Hope to see no intermittent failures.


No comments:

Post a Comment