Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

A pleasant experience at a neighborhood ACE hardware store and a local handyman.

For a change this a totally non-tech blog.

When our younger son moved to an apartment with a friend, he emptied his room. At least that is what I can expect him to do. Last Sunday, I completed clearing the floor of all debris (You don't want to know). The I decided we want to paint. I walked over to my stash of left over paint in the tool shed. I thought we have enough to finish the job. We decided we want a neutral light gray color for the wall.

On Monday, I called a local handyman Al Rivera, big young man from Hawaii. He came immediately and asked for $200 for the job. So, we settled on Wed as the day for painting. He asked me if I have the paint. I showed him and he nodded in agreement.

On Wed at 7:30am I called Aaron Auer at McKivor's Hardware in Fremont and asked him if he can do me a favor and add tint to my left over 2.5 gallons of whitish paint and shake up some left over 1 gallon containers of paint for the ceiling to mix. He said, "Sure. Come over". We (me and our 3+ female German Shepherd always ready to tag along) went right away. In 30 min, Aaron helped us load the paint all ready including 2 new empty 1 gallon cans for the old paint he stirred in his machine. Of course, I always pick up stuff. This time I picked up a mallet to close the paint tin and for any other use, a handy tool to pry open the paint can and a magnifying glass. My wife cannot have enough of them and I too am warming up to it. The fine print seems to shrink!

Al Rivera showed up with his assistant also Al. I asked Al to replace a shit off valve I bought for my guest toilet and see if I replaced the flush handle and the flap properly. By 5pm, it was all done. Since they did more work than I asked, Al asked for $240. I wrote a check for $240 and added $20 extra. Off they went beaming!

I am glad I live in a city big enough to buy anything from food to a Tesla electric car by driving 5miles even in rush hour and yet have the small town friendly service with a smile. Did I say that Ziva loves the attention on our outings?

Now the commercial...

If you live in Fremont, CA feel free to follow the links and get yourself some good old small town service...

No comments:

Post a Comment