Pages

Friday, September 26, 2014

Friendly service I had at local bike shop. Amazing.

I have been to Fremont Schwinn Cyclery to buy my first Schwinn Hybrid bike 4 years ago back in 2010 for $400. I ride only on weekends and have 2000 miles on it. I had excellent service from James and his dad I would like to respectfully refer to as  Mr. Ha. Often, the comment is no charge. I probably spent $100 over the last 4 years to maintain this bike and that includes rear view mirrors I added.

A biking partner of mine had a carbon fiber Canondale bike. He wanted better gear ratio to climb steepr roads. For less than $100 his bike can climb. No kidding!

I wanted to go up a little faster on the same slopes to keep up with my partners. James suggested smaller tires and isntalled them for about $50. Nice improvement. In fact, I got smaller tires put on my son's $200 Walmart bike and he is very happy with that bike.

I bought a Fuji Newest 4.0 2012 road bike used for $250 ($550 new) and took it and asked James to tell me what it needs. He took 10 minutes to test and said it is good to go as is. I asked him to install trip meter and kickstand. 45minutes and $55 later, I rode the bike.

They are so refreshingly low tech (no email, web page, smart phones) but very high in service...

Welcome to small town America where people trust people and do the right thing!

Update 9/28:

After my first ride up a slope, I needed more climbing gear. Went back to the bike shop. James took 15 min and $40 including parts to replace the rear cassette to increase teeth for 25 to 32. I am a happy climber!

No comments:

Post a Comment